Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The target is set on my ECSI Loan

Spending for the day
Rite Aid-Energy Drinks (4) -$8.95

Before you say anything I know that energy drinks are bad for me and I should have planned it better to have bought them at the Commissary at a lower rate...but I was desperate this morning. Anyway I really am trying to do better when it comes to this whole frugal/save money thing. For dinner today I made some turkey and cheese sandwiches. I have the bad habit of not using all of my lunch meat or bread before it goes bad or I just toss it. See everyone, I really am trying. :) I also decided that I am the type of person that needs to see results. As much as I know that it is smarter to pay off debts with the highest interest first I need the mental satisfaction of seeing a loan wiped out completely to motivate me. My plan is to go after my Perkins ECSI loan. The original loan amount was $1,800.00 with a 5% interest rate. It went into repayment only a couple months ago. The current balance of the loan is $1468.63. If I can snowball payments towards this loan I can get it paid off in 3-4 months. That would free up the money to focus more on my credit card. Yes, my credit card has the highest interest but I think that I need something to jump start me and push me in the right direction. I'll let you all know how it goes. I just need to focus and do this for me. I know that the debt didn't get here over night- thank you 4 years of college lol- but I can get it to go away faster than the "suggested amount of time" The nice thing about loans though-is that besides the couple extra dollars in interest you can't charge anything to them and so the balance will only continue to go down. I have money in my account to make a payment right now towards this loan but I am going to be smart and wait until pay day. I still like having the financial security in my checking/savings account.

Current Account Balance
    Debt   Principal Payoff Fixed Current Interest Months Last Payment Last Check Defer/ Post
Campus Fund Amount Balance Paid Amount Payment Due Rate Delinquent Date Amount Number Date Type
40 PER24A $1,800.00 $1,468.43 $331.57 $1,468.43 $40.00 $0.00 5.000 % 0 6/18/2012 $100.00 Echeck

Totals:
$1,800.00 $1,468.43 $331.57 $1,468.43 $40.00 $0.00

2 comments:

  1. Good for you in making a plan. I usually vote for CC debt first, but get a win and then see where you're at! I made a turkey wrap with a tortilla today for breakfast, so I'm with you on trying to use up food! We're moving, so my goal is to eat everything in the house before the big day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I have the bad habit of trying to pay too much too quickly with my credit card and then I get back right to where I started when I start charging things again. As long as I can continue to have the will power to keep the card out of my wallet I should hopefully be good to go. :) Hope the move goes well!

    ReplyDelete