Tuesday, June 26, 2012

It's a start...

I went grocery shopping on Sunday but I didn't go overboard. Nine times out of ten I don't go shopping for a long time, out of pure laziness, and then I overfill my cart with food. I'm the only one eating the food obviously so I don't eat everything before it goes bad. I'm making it my goal to eat what I have before buying more food. Well...obviously within reason. I'm not going to wait to go to the store until I have absolutely nothing in the fridge or cabinets. lol.
Taking my credit card out of my wallet has been the best move that I have made to date. I really have to think about the things I buy and if I really need it. I made a $438.75 payment to my Discover Card today.  This will bring the card down to 3,500. In the past I would make large payments to my card and by the end of the next month I would be right back where I started. If I can't use my card I can't add any additional charges to it. You would think that I would have figured that out sooner. I graduated college with honors and I have an Honors Paralegal Certificate...you would think that I'd realize that you can't use something if you don't have it with you. I guess it was a mental barrier or something. Anyways, I am excited that I made a big payment-I just need to keep getting it lower and lower.

My husband only has 538 left on his card. I am really tempted to pay the rest of it off this month in order to have one less bill to pay. We could definitely do it. I'll have to ask him and see what he thinks. I got a comment saying that I should tell my husband about how high my credit card debt is and I agree with her. Thanks for the comment by the way! :) However, I won't say anything until he gets back. The thing about deployments is-when something bad happens-you don't tell the person. When you are worried about something-you don't tell the person. Soldiers need to focus solely on their mission and keep their head in the game during deployment. You don't want to say anything that will distract them and put them in danger. It's just how it is. Ask any military spouse and they will tell you the same thing. Hopefully by the time he gets home in a couple more months from now I will have made some extra progress on my card. Ok well I need to get the laundry into the dryer and get ready to work out tonight. Hope everyone else is having a good Tuesday. How are you doing with your goals and getting your debt paid off?

1 comment:

  1. That comment was me, using a different login on accident. :) That makes sense about waiting until he gets home. I hadn't thought of that, but yeah, no need to worry/upset him when he's gone and on duty. Maybe ask him about paying off his card with his money, so that is all done, and then perhaps when he's home you can use combined finances to take care of whatever CC debt you couldn't get paid down? Just a thought. I can imagine it would be tough to be home alone...hang in there and good job taking the CC out of the wallet!

    ReplyDelete