Friday, November 11, 2011

A case of the wants, gimmes, and I deserve it.

Note to self: When you are in the process of paying down debt you shouldn't look at clothes, boots, and shoes online. It just makes you want them more. It's kind of masochistic to tease yourself like that.

I need to learn to accept that I can't have immediate gratification. Maybe I should do something for the first time in my life and actually save. Save for Christmas. Save for a dress to my fiance's military ball. Save to buy new shoes for work.

I need to accept that what I have right now works fine. I don't need a new purse. I don't need this fall's latest trend...although those riding boots certainly do look cute on everyone that I see wearing them. unless my shoes are literally falling apart...I can wait.

It's time to be a grown up. It's time to realize that everything has a price. I need to figure out what that object's value is to me. Is half a week's worth of work worth those $160 riding boots from Aldo? Yeah...I'm starting to think they aren't.

If I stay focused I can pay off this credit card in under three months. In order to do that I need to budget for Christmas gifts and not put anything on my credit card. I know that I can do it...I just need to kick my own ass sometimes.

How about everyone else? Have you been budgeting for Christmas? If you do-how much do you put away every month?

2 comments:

  1. You can do it! While I paid off my credit cards, I put a ban on clothes shopping. It ended up being a full year. For me it was easier to go all or nothing.

    I just decided to make all my Christmas gifts for my family, though I am not usually very crafty, so it's definitely an experiment. I budgeted $100 this month, and will plan for another $100 for Christmas related expenses. I go small with most people, so I am actually hoping to get away with a $200 budget. My BF told me to get him something small and save the rest for a wedding, so I am taking that advice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish that I was artsy craftsy. I really do. In the sorority house no one would ever let me do my own art projects. I don't think they trusted me. And...I'm not exaggerating. What are you making for your family this Christmas? I'm really struggling with what to get everyone for Christmas this year. I just don't have any ideas yet. I am trying to keep the costs low since my fiance and I are flying to Chicago for both Thanksgiving and Christmas so it is going to be a little expensive. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete