Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Battling the WANTS and focusing on the practical

I WANT a new dress for my hubby's (hee hee) military ball. However, I have this beautiful dress sitting in my closet. I wore it last month in my friend's wedding. It's also the perfect amount of appropriate for the occassion (read-fancy).



It's tailored and fits like a glove. I also have the matching shoes and shawl.


So..you are probably scratching your head and asking...what's the problem. Umm... I don't want to be seen in the same dress again. We might be using the photos from his ball as our formal engagement pictures in the newspaper for his hometown...yeah...don't ask. lol Long story short-his parents want to make an announcement. I just don't like being seen in the same dress twice. I don't know if it makes me feel cheap or like I can't afford something else. I think I spend too much time worrying about what others think of me. However, I'm going to fight against it and just wear the dress that I spent over $300 on when you include shoes, shawl, dress, and alterations. I spent fifty dollars just to alter the dress. I ordered the smallest size and
I still  needed to take it in several inches.


I'm going to save my money by not buying a new dress and put it to another WANT of mine- Getting out of credit card debt. Let's be honest-if I bought a new dress I would have put it on my credit card instead of using my bank card, even though I have the funds to purchase it in my bank account.

What about everyone else? Is there something that you didn't buy when you really wanted to and instead used something you already had? Please share if you want!

3 comments:

  1. Good for you! That dress looks really pretty, and I doubt anyone will remember. And if they do, they probably won't care...we think more about ourselves than others do! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! I know my mom is exactly like this. But for some reason I love wearing things a lot more than once. I think of it as getting the most out of cost per wear. Try accessorizing differently and wearing your hair a different way, and doing your make-up differently. I'm sure no one will notice and if they do just be like "yeah I loved it so much and I knew I wouldn't be able to wear it any time soon!" haha. Hope you and the hubby have a fun time =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! We both had a great night. I'm definitely glad that I did not end up buying a new dress. My husband and I have a lot of upcoming expenses with Christmas gifts and travel. We paid 800 dollars to fly home for Thanksgiving and it looks like we will be paying another 800 to fly in for Christmas. However, to be clear we haven't combined finances yet so it would have been my money that bought the dress. Whether that makes a difference or not I don't know. :p

    ReplyDelete