Thursday, December 8, 2011

Trying to Turn Over a New Leaf: The Spending Edition with a little help from Gail Vaz-Oxlade

I went to the court house today during my lunchtime to get copies of our marriage certificate. That was easy enough. I found parking immediately, didn't have to wait it any line, and ten minutes and a check written out for thirty dollars later I had 3 copies of my certificate. I was on my way back from work and I was tempted to stop at Baldino's (sub place) for a turkey sub. Suddenly that banana and strawberry lemonade yogurt didn't seem so appealing to me. Here is a little bit of how the conversation with myself went.

Me: Well I'm already driving.  I always work through my lunch so I never have an opportunity to go out for lunch. I should take advantage of it.

Smarter Me: You said that you were just going to go to court and come back. Besides, your other coworker is waiting until you get back before she leaves to run an errand.

Me: Yes,but it won't take long. And besides...I've been reading that Gail Vaz-Oxlade book about getting out of debt. This can be my one last hurrah and then I'll start for real next week.

Smarter Me: Why don't you just start now. You have food at the office that you paid money for. Why are you going to let it go to waste? Why spend money on food when you DONT NEED IT. Why do you need a starting date to become all saving and not spending..don't go.


Needless to say...I didn't go. I went back and ate my banana and yogurt. And drank my coffee from home.
The second thing that I did to think about making a change with my debt situation.


I was driving home from work and trying to think of a cohesive dinner menu. It wasn't working. I thought about going to the store and having to spend more money. Then I thought well if we can't come up with something that we both want/or can agree on maybe we can just order a pizza, and it would take the stress off of me from trying to figure something out. INSTEAD-I texted the hubby and told him that he was on his own for dinner tonight. I ate leftover macaroni and lobster pasta that I had leftover from going out to dinner the other night. He isn't home yet but he said that he would throw something together. We have italian sausage, buffalo chicken wings, eggs, soup, pasta, things to make sandwiches...believe me he has stuff to make. I'm not starving him I promise. I'm just happy that I ate my leftover pasta-otherwise it would have been absolute waste of money. It wasn't a cheap meal.

Well back to my Gail Vaz Oxlade book. I'm loving it a lot. I'm aware of most of the material that in it already-but its a fun and easy read. I can't wait to utilize her free spreadsheets online!!!



It's almost the weekend so....Can you name one way that you saved money today? Or if you are adventurous...two  ways???

No comments:

Post a Comment