Monday, December 5, 2011

He didn't want to Open a Joint Account?

My husband and I were sitting in the living room this evening after he got home from work at 8pm as is his usual these days. I mentioned that we have to open a joint account still and he seemed hesitant. He claimed A) he didn't want too many accounts (since when is 2 a lot?) and that he was worried the army would mess up his pay if he switched his money to a new account. Instead, he wanted to do an autodeposit into my account for the bills. Umm....what?

One of the main things that they speak about with predeployment is to make sure that your wife has access to all of your accounts in case something comes up or whatever. I guess I was kind of angry and hurt that he doesn't want to open a joint account which is something that I think is very important to do. He doesn't have to worry about me draining his account or anything like that-for God's sake. He realized that I was angry and of course he says that we will open a joint account...which kind of makes me even angrier. I don't need him placating me-I need to know that we stand on the same page when it comes to finances. I don't want him to give in without discussing things just because I'm not happy about something.


I guess that we will need to be grownups and discuss it. Wish me luck.Now if only my laundry would finish so that I could go to bed. It's midnight and I'm absolutely exhausted.


Spending for Today

Appliance Warehouse-30.29- bill for washer and dryer
Christmas Present for my brother-60 dollars

So far S and I have bought a present for my brother and a present for one of his brother's. We still need to buy for my mom and dad, his mom and dad, his other brother, and my sister. I also need to shop for something small for the people from work. We are such a small office (4 people) that I would feel guilty not buying something for them.

I'm not going to lie...I feel tired and stressed out. Good night everyone.


And here is another question since I love them so much-When you first got married (if you are married) how soon after did you get a joint account or combine your finances? How did you feel about it? Happy? Or did you feel like you lost a little bit of freedom? And for the singles out there-Would you combine finances with a significant other or wait until marriage?

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry. I hope everything goes well with the finances talk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope everything works out! My BFF and her husband had the same sort of discussion when they got married. She wanted to open the joint acct while he didn't but he was having trust issues. Eventually they worked it out after discussing it more so hopefully the same thing happens with you. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you open the joint account? I have USAA as a dependent of my Dad and he was able to open a joint account over the phone.

    The army has been paying alot of people for a long time so I think his check will be fine when changing account info.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments
    I spoke with S and I can clarify things. It wasn't because he didn't trust me or didn't want me to have access to his bank account. It was kind of more like pure laziness on his part. We have a lot of stuff to get done before his deployment and I think it was just another thing that was added on to the list. He probably thought it wasn't a huge priority. However, we are either going to open a joint account or he is going to add me on to his USAA account. Problem solved...well problem will be solved once we get it done! Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. It puts a smile on my face every time!

    ReplyDelete